Thrive From Your Mistakes
Nobody likes them but… the best teacher is mistakes.
If you’re like me, you don’t set out to make mistakes, you hope you don’t make mistakes but it’s inevitable, we all do.
It’s part of being human. It’s what we do with them that will make or break us.
When we make mistakes, we can become better or or we can back away from that which we were trying to accomplish.
In your home business, here are common ways people make mistakes:
- Pushing people to buy. Not listening to the wants and needs of the person they’re talking to.
- Placing ads that don’t convert or getting your social media accounts suspended.
- Making a video with a terrible background/sound/appearance thus, they don’t convert
- Not returning phone calls due to fear of not knowing an answer.
- Time management
- Not getting up and going again when technology breaks. Oh Lord, the stories I could tell. Here’s one example.
Because of all this, one my think, “Oh gosh, it’s just too hard to be an entrepreneur, it’s to hard to mess with technology, I’m not skilled enough to be an entrepreneur, etc.”
I love what one of my mentors, Jim Rohn, said,
“Don’t wish it was easier, wish you were better. Don’t wish for less problems, wish for more skills. Don’t wish for less challenges, wish for more wisdom.”
I think this is great advice and we can apply this to any mistakes we make. Take the mistakes in your lap and get better, develop skills and gain wisdom.
How does that sound to you? How bad do you want to have more, do more, be more vs. wanting to learn?
Remember Back To The First Few Weeks On Your Job
Do you remember your first few weeks on the job when you’ve not done that type of work before? Or when you were dealing with a boss and company who did things a bit different than the last company you worked for? Even though you were confident that you could perform the job as required, I betcha anything that you make a few mistakes.
Did it stop you from moving forward in that job? I betcha it didn’t. I bet you just moved on and didn’t do it again and all was well.
I remember when I first started bot my law and real estate careers, I was very perfection orientated. And in both of those types of work, that can be a good thing because you’re dealing with people’s lives and usually their biggest asset.
However, not unlike anyone else, I made mistakes but with others looking over my shoulders to fix them before it became contractual and effected the client.
At first, my worry level went through the roof, but then I realized that everyone goes through a learning curve and it’s very much a part of ‘on the job training‘. Mistakes are to be expected and used as teaching moments. This allowed me to be confident that I could perform my job even while making mistakes.
Making Mistakes In Your Home Based Business
Now let’s take your home based business. The mistakes made here have more to do with self-motivation and trial and error to find out what your strengths and interests are and what your time and budget can handle.
Nothing here is life and death, contractual (unless you’re hiring some to do work for you) or effects lives (unless you’re a scammer and if you’re reading this, I believe you’re on the up and up and you have a great product you want to offer others to solve a problem they have. Good on you for that.)
Here’s 5 tips to help you navigate a little bit.
1) Show up every day for yourself in your business venture. Figure out a spot of time that’s dedicated to your business, no matter what.
2) Before you place ads on any social media site, make sure you understand the guidelines, what your budget can handle and in fact, I’d recommend purchasing a course on the type of marketing you want to do.
3) If fear holds you back, get the help you need. You an do this via books, audio and group or one-on-one coaching.
4) Know your target audience. You can’t be all things to all people. Know who your talking to, what their problems are and offer a problem specific to that.
5) Leave your ego at the door. Serve your customers. When you help others get what they want, you’ll get what you want.
Bottom Line: You will make , without fail, mistakes. It’s not possible to start a home based business and think you’re going to get everything right. So what you want to do is simply embrace the “what I don’t know can be learned” motto and run to it.
The faster you make mistakes, the faster you improve your skills which leads to faster results. Yes or yes?
Celebrate your mistakes, laugh at yourself, don’t dwell on money or time lost, rather, understand that you just gave yourself a raise. Yep, you just became more valuable to the marketplace you serve! You’re smarter, wiser and stronger. People one day will be willing you pay you big bucks for your knowledge and wisdom!
If in the past, you have been punished for mistakes, it will require you to flip a different response switch with new thinking about them. It’s a decision you make. Just decide from now on that when you make a mistake, you will respond positively about yourself. Staying cowardly after a mistake will keep you down. You need to rise up my friend. Rise up!
Own your mistakes. Celebrate them. Learn from them. Share them with others so they don’t make the same mistakes. This is leadership and will serve you well.
So what do you do with all this?
Unless you take ownership of your mistakes, you’ll not ever fully learn the lessons you must master to move forward as a home based business entrepreneur. Take responsibility of your mistakes, embrace them and thrive.
All the best, All the time!